There are more than 100,000 known species of mold in the world and it is expected that there are many times that number that have yet to be identified. Approximately 1000 of these species have been observed and identified inside of buildings. Mold disperse spores into the air and even more so under moist, humid or disturbed conditions. Every building has mold spores and fragments within its interior because buildings are not airtight and some outdoor air will always enter. Therefore, everyone comes in contact with mold spores on a daily basis, even if they remain indoors.
Heavy or prolonged exposure to many species of airborne mold spores can be detrimental to some individuals. The most common negative reaction, if any, is an allergic response such as sneezing, sinus or nasal congestion, eye irritation, runny nose, sore throat, etc. Other common symptoms not associated with the respiratory system include rashes, swelling and itching. These symptoms do not normally constitute a major health crisis for most people and treatment from a physician or pharmacy is normally adequate. Many people experience some of these symptoms on a daily basis and the source or culprit may not be mold, but it is certainly a possible cause and should be investigated.
Some molds produce airborne toxins called mycotoxins that can cause serious health issues to some individuals if heavy or prolonged exposure occurs. The most vulnerable individuals are the elderly, infants, children, pregnant women, immune compromised people, chemotherapy patients, people with respiratory problems and people who’s bodies are already struggling with other diseases, infections, serious injuries or serious medical conditions. Healthy individuals can also be adversely affected from excessive exposure to mycotoxins. There are numerous diseases and infections that are associated to excessive mold exposure..
You can obtain more information about mold from the following websites: